Thursday, January 8, 2009

PAINTINGS


' A picture is worth a thousand words.'

I really believe that it is true. Why? Imagine a beautiful sunset . Now imagine how many words it would take to describe it's beauty. At least a thousand, if not more. But it takes only one painting to convey the description. Now don't take me wrong here. I am not talking in terms of effort. Most probably the effort that goes into both the writing as well as the painting is comparable. Personally I believe that the effort that goes into painting is more ( after the inspiration, to be specific). Imagine if one had to paint all the relevant verses of the 'Mahabharata' or 'Illiad' !!! These are just some of the random thoughts I was having today.
The crux of the matter is that I wish I could paint all that I wanted to. And as well as I wanted to paint. But it takes a lot of inspiration to start a painting and then a lot of work to finish it to your satisfaction. Painting is one of those things that bring me joy :-) There was a time when I used to paint. I had taken all possible classes - in watercolor, oils, fabrics etc. Each summer vacation I would attend some class or the other and spend hours painting pictures. I had a lot of inspiration and enthusiasm. But I am empty handed now, because paintings and painters are considered worthless in India. The family decided that I should be doing something more worthwhile with my time. And all my paintings were sold to the "kabaadiwala" because to get them framed would be a waste of hard earned money. Probably, it was right.
Maybe I should paint now and get them framed. Only now I don't have any inspiration.
I am not writing all of this to gain sympathy. The only reason I write this is to implore that if you have anybody in your life that paints or maybe writes or sketches, hang on to every scrap that comes your way. He might not be tomorrow's Picassa or Monet. The scraps may well be worthless monetarily but you'll be saving a piece of his soul within. A moment of his happiness captured by that finished piece of painting.
Enough of the lecture for today :-D I wanted to share with you some of the beautiful pictures that I came across today. Hope you like them and experience the same happiness that the painters did when they painted these.





The painting on top of the post(sunset in rorutunga) and the landscape( a swiss village) are by a painter named Roland Lee. The painting 'yellow hibiscus' is by the painter Bob Ross. He has a show called 'The Joy of Painting' which is aired on local PBS stations. And the Tulips painting is by Marlies Merk Najaka. The websites are given below. Please check them out for more lovely paintings (on sale) as well as step-by-step painting lessons. And let me know if you have any other such lovely sites on your list :-D
for Roland Lee - www.rolandlee.com
for Bob Ross - www.bobross.com
Go put up a piece of beauty and happiness on all the walls around you. And my thanks to these excellent painters and the innumerous others out there for bringing us such Happiness.

note: no copyright infringement or plagiarism intended.

No comments: